Top Five Tuesday! Five Things I Have Learned During The School Holidays!




During the School Holidays, I am forced to spend time with my own Munchkins...rather than other people's kids! It is during this time that I learn all kinds of different things that I had never known or realised before...like the fact that (and please don't judge me for this!) I could never be a Stay-At-Home Mum, and that day-time television is simply appalling! I must, however, admit to watching the odd episode of Jeremy Kyle! There is a slightly morbid satisfaction in realising that there are people out there whose lives are far more complicated that ours!

Anyway, here I go with my Top Five School Holiday revelations.

1. Youtube Kids


This has been a revelation on two completely different levels. Having older Munchkins, I have simply relied on the filters to ensure that the content that they watch is suitable. However, these do not always work...as I have discovered with the Peppa Pig-obsessed two year old. Endless hours of listening to the Peppa Pig theme tune and Daddy Pig being berated by everyone for his general incompetence had kind of numbed me...until I heard some strange noises coming from the tablet. Out of curiosity, I retrieved the tablet to be greeted by this...


My two year old was watching Peppa Pig commit suicide! Not only this but, upon checking her viewing history, I was mortified to discover that she had also watched Daddy Pig being murdered by Freddy Krueger...What sort of sick people are out there?!

Upon confessing my failings as a mother to my own mother, she helpfully pointed me in the direction of Youtube Kids. This has meant hours of peace and quiet...safe in the knowledge that my two year old is no longer watching her favourite characters being made into bacon!



2. Tea


This isn't really a revelation...I drink far too much tea! When you realise that you have got through an 80 box of teabags in a week, you are probably drinking way too much and it's time to give TDA (Tea Drinkers Anonymous!). It's a good job that I don't have sugar in my tea or I would probably look something like this:


It's also a good job that I'm not a coffee drinker...or I would literally be on the ceiling all day!

My normal day (on a work day) consists of two cups of tea before I leave the house, two more when I drop the Munchkins at my mother's house, and another one when I arrive at work. This is then usually followed by a cup at break time, one at lunch time and another at the end of the day. This also doesn't include when I have a free period! On arriving home, I can probably guarantee drinking at least another four or five cups!

Methinks, an intervention might be needed, family and friends! 



3. There is a famine in my house! 



For some reason, the Munchkins are permanently hungry during the school holidays...despite having a set schedule during the School Year! And, apparently, there is never any food in the house that they like...despite the same food occupying the kitchen cupboards, fridge and freezer! Maybe it's because there is a stockpile of Tesco Value Multi-pack crisps (see my previous post on Entertaining the Munchkins!) or because they have realised that the Nutella is actually Aldi's Nutoka (as it always has been!)! They never know what they want....unless it has an horrific sugar content, is full of E numbers, or is Cookie Monster Fudge!


4. There are more people living in my house than I knew about!

How do I know this? Because every laundry basket in my house looks like this! Now, I must admit that I am spoiled by my mother during term time because she washes all of the Munchkins uniform for me...but how the heck can they create so much laundry during the School Holidays?! Kim Kardashian probably changes her clothes less than our kids! I appreciate the fact that my twins are ten years old, and become increasingly fashion-conscious, but really?! Sitting on your tablet or laptop watching Youtube does not require several changes of outfit! And for God's sake, you are all now old enough to separate your pants and socks from your trousers and turn them the right way!


5. There is no such thing as a lie-in!




Well, the time on the clock would definitely be a lie-in for me....and I definitely do not look as good in the morning as the woman in the image (Ask Prince Charming about my open-mouthed drooling and morning hair that resembles Einstein or Ken Dodd!)!

It doesn't matter how much we try to wear the Munchkins out...they are still up at the crack of dawn! Thank God for tablets and Youtube (Bad Parent Alert!)! This might gain me an extra half an hour...but I still need to get up and do Prince Charming's lunch! You might ask why...but he does do most of the cooking...and I do feel guilty that I get thirteen weeks holiday per year...and I am still trying to prove that I am a Domestic Goddess!!


Please feel free to comment below or follow me on Facebook and leave your comments there xx



Comments

  1. Nice blog!! The way you like to have tea many times a day! I just like to have coffee more times a day than tea. However, I didn't knew any thing about youtube kids. new to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I know shouldn't laugh but I am laughing more in shock. Who on earth would create violent videos of Peppa Pig. Thank goodness for Youtube kids xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I love these, I discovered youtube kids when I was babysitting and had to keep them entertained, I totally know how the tea feel except I need like 10 coffees instead lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have kids so I cannot relate much to school holidays but holidays or not I'm guilty of being a tea addict. :D Youtube Kids is also new to me, thanks for sharing it, will definitely share it with friends and family with kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say that Youtube is awesome. I may activate the kids you tube though- great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain. Having tons of laundry to do is part and parcel of managing an active household so, you deserve kudos for keeping the kids active.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Five Tuesday! Five things I wish I had never started!

Selling The Castle